9:00-After a few rounds of spoons and other lame card games, a feisty round of slap jack gets everyone fired up.
9:45-We are in full on competition mode, starring each other down, slapping the jacks with such force that I know someone is going to get hurt.
10:00-I realize my sister was supposed to return tonight, wonder aloud about that while starring down a friend...maybe it will distract him and I can sneak in on the next jack. My friend calls me a horrible person for not knowing where my sister is...neither of us win that round. I get my phone out of my bedroom in case she calls.
10:15-We switch to kent. For those of you unfamiliar with the game, you pair up and work out a secret signal with your partner. Once one of you gets four of a kind you do your signal and your partner yells "WE WIN!" (actually they're supposed to call kent apparently, we liked WE WIN better). My signal? "Hey, I wonder where the hell my sister is". If the other team catches you on your signal then they call you out on it and they win.
10:30-Screaming match has ensued over whether or not my partner yelled WE WIN before my friend called her out on it. My adrenaline level is reaching new highs.
11:00-The game reaches a level of competition only seem amongst world class athletes. Caroline calls to say she had reached Dublin and was on the bus. Our conversation
Marianna: *far too excited from game* HELLO! WHATS THE DEAL!
Caroline: I'm on the bus
Marianna: Great, gotta go
Caroline: *bad connection mumbling*
Marianna: What?
Caroline: *bad connection*
Marianna: I can't hear a word your saying but don't worry I'll be around, gotta go.
Kent was calling
11:45-Caroline's not back yet....a bit worried by that. Unfortunately we've just been called cheaters and thats a personal offense so I have to defend my honor.
12:00-I see Caroline walk by our window. In the middle of a heated match so I'll wait for her to knock on the door. She knocks, still in the middle of a match, this is one of those situations I'm going to regret later. Luckily the other team snags a Cinderella victory and I can run to the door. She's tired and cranky. I make her toast and tell her she can use my bed. The concessions I make in order to quickly return to my card game.
12:05-The card game has been put on temporary hold, so I catch up with Caroline about London. Sounds like a good trip, she saw lots of people.
12:30-A few more hands pass, but the intensity just isn't there anymore, I'm falling asleep, time to close up shop.
1:00-I make myself a little bed on my floor using my duvet and a sheet. Its the same bed Caroline used all last week, she always made it look comfortable. Eh.
2:30-I finally get to sleep, I enter a crazy dream in which Melinda from American Idol, Nancy Reagan and I all appear on the Maury show to discuss the dangers of Facebook.
3:30-I wake up panicked that Caroline missed her plane.
3:45-6-More crazy dreams, unaware of how many involve Nancy Reagan.
6-Wake up panicked again. Discover that Caroline is making funny noises in her sleep. Have a good giggle about that. Included in them "oooo" "grrrr" "ugh...well then".
6:44-Jump up completely convinced that this time we've overslept, just in time for the 6:45 alarm to go off. Caroline springs into action, I spring into my bed the minute she gets up.
6:55-Caroline leaves, I head back to bed. Crazy dreams begin again in which I am a guest at the Grammy's and am apparently a big deal but no one will tell me why and they won't let me sit down until I figure out why I'm supposed to be there.
11:40-Decide it's time to get up and get my day going. Hope Caroline made it to her plane on time.
2 comments:
Yes, I made it to my plane with plenty of time to spare. Was actually in Dublin until noon...something about a "fuel smell?" I don't know, all I know is I had a screaming three year old sitting behind me who kept throwing his stuffed animal into my lap.
Thanks, glad to know I was "tired and cranky."
sounds like an intense game! i loved playing that game at summer camp, but we called it kemps..
btw, if you get bored i have a pizza blog you can look at! we had to make one for my food class... here's the link.
http://extracheezplease.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment