8:15-Alright, lets get going, shower time...so I slept in a little, sue me
8:30-Choosing the right outfit for a day of studying. I choose jeans for their comfort and durability, plus my light blue polo shirt for comfort and breezyness. I will also bring a sweater. I braid my hair and look in the mirror. Ugh, I look like I'm ready to go teach arts and crafts at summer camp.
9:10-Hey, weren't you supposed to be in the library 45 minutes ago? Yea...I pack my bag up. I feel like I'm heading on a weekend trip. 3 thick books, a computer and cords to go with it, granola bars, gum, notebook, pens, wallet, phone...and I throw in my camera for Gina.
9:15-Walk to the library, I think I see someone stealing a bike. He's going at a lock with one of those giant lock cutters. In elementary school they always taught us that if you were going to steal a bike, those were the best tool to use. I think I missed the point of those bike safety lessons. First stop, print and fill out a background check form for work this summer. I'm wondering why all of a sudden the office decided to check us out. Seems shady. I wonder if I had anything to do with it. Probably. I wonder if anyone is going to get caught for anything. I can't wait.
9:30-The fax office is taking forever. PS. I expect to be reimbursed in Frist points for the 1.96 euros that I spent. Thats roughly 78 American dollars...the exchange rate is THAT bad. I know you guys read this.
9:35-I arrive at the library. There's a new sign above the circulation desk: "Please have your ID card ready. For hygiene reasons, do not put it in your mouth".
10:30-I have a paragraph. This is going to be a long day. The girl next to me is on some website that looks like it was made by an ADD stricken 7 year old on a sugar high. Flashing lights and florescent colors. I imagine if she had her sound on it would be beeping and chirping as well. Clearly I can't help but stare at it.
10:45-Thers a cute guy sitting across from me. I noticed him yesterday as well. This could be a distraction.
11:45-I wonder what's happening back in NJ *checks Trenton Times* Gang fight at Princeton!?!?!?!?! Suddenly those background checks are making sense. It was at Wilcox?!?! Wow, something must have been in the Vegetarian Vegetable soup.
12:00-Thinking about the chicken breast in my fridge. Google: How long does it take to cook chicken. Thats something I should know. 30 minutes at 375 apparently. Moving on to talking about the Eucharistic Congress in my paper. I look down at my class notes for that. All I've written is Eucharistic Congress....but I wrote it three times, maybe I meant something by that. I have never been more aware of the fact that I have ADD than I am here.
12:30- I just used the phrase "shining example" Thats a shining example of stupid word choice. Best part about my MacBook? The thesaurus. Thesaurus suggests I use hunky-dory or splendiferous. Well, if you insist. Hold on, I'm going to go thesaurus the word thesaurus...it suggests wordbook. Anyone want to airmail me some Ritilin? I've decided to just use "great example". Thesaurus suggested I use "killer". Maybe this isn't the best feature. I'm starting to refer to the thesaurus as if he were a person. Hey, this is my buddy Thesaurus!
12:50- I should note that I've never seen a more beautiful day in Dublin. Too bad I'm enjoying it through a window
1:20-I've been here for four hours and God hasn't asked me to mind my belongings once. Are you there God? It's me, Marianna.
1:21-I was scolded on my last paper for using "American" spellings, ie the letter Z (organization instead of organisation). My computer is not pleased about having to spell this way. Good boy, computer, you good little patriot you. U-S-A, U-S-A. If i hadn't disabled the little paper clip guy he'd probably be having a stroke by now.
1:50-That "Shining example" (now great example) is still bothering me. I changed it to "prime example". Check back in an hour for the next word choice. and yes, I have written more since that sentence.
2:50-Anyone want a computer? People just leave them lying around here so that people don't take their desks. I'd rather someone take my desk after I've left it for an hour than someone take my computer. Just a thought. I'm tempted to grab the one next to me and sell it for lunch money
3:40-It's almost dinner time...all I can think about is vegetarian vegetable soup. I'm going to be sorely disappointed when I return home and there's none there. It's also not almost dinner time, but thats another story. I can now see a few clouds in the otherwise crystal clear blue sky....that...sort of...makes..me..feel...better? ARGH
4:00-Words I now know the meaning of: Amagam, modicum
4:15: eh, tea-time. As I walked back through my dorm complex I saw a couple kids playing rugby. Out of no where the head of the complex, the Angie Sheets of UCD if you will, grabs the ball and walks away with it laughing. You see they've banned fun here during finals week, no ball playing etc (it's true, we got a note under our door and everything). As they plead with her to give the ball back she chuckles and says "HA! You'll get it back in May. Next time, I pop the ball" and struts away chuckling. I felt like applauding. No one found it nearly as funny as I did though.
Evening in the James Joyce Library
6:30-Well, tea/nap time turned into tea and nap time. What a nap. Hopefully I'll be good to go until midnight tonight. Library not quite as full as it was yesterday, not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing.
7:45-I have a headache. A kid just ran down the aisle in a panic. Now he's walking back looking content. I don't get this place at all...
7:50-Talking to Chizzle on the new Facebook IM thing (our generation is doomed by the way). We make as many gang fight at Wilcox jokes as we can in 5 minutes before she abandons me to go watch Ellen
8:25-It amazes me that in one month I'll never hear the name de Valera again. Well, I probably will, but not with the frequency that I do here. Eamon de Valera being a major figure in modern Irish history.
8:35-I'm going to go ahead and declare the past two hours the most useless I've ever been. On the plus side....nope, no plus side. Not even some good celebrity gossip. I've literally just sat and starred at a white divider on the desk. Still no word from God. I'm a bit worried, has God given up on me and my belongings?
8:25-It amazes me that in one month I'll never hear the name de Valera again. Well, I probably will, but not with the frequency that I do here. Eamon de Valera being a major figure in modern Irish history.
8:35-I'm going to go ahead and declare the past two hours the most useless I've ever been. On the plus side....nope, no plus side. Not even some good celebrity gossip. I've literally just sat and starred at a white divider on the desk. Still no word from God. I'm a bit worried, has God given up on me and my belongings?
8:50-Headline on CNN.com "One word to describe your mom". 200 your mom jokes immediately come to mind.
9:30-GOD! How nice to hear from you! She (God is female in the UCD library, lets avoid a debate here please) informs us that the service desk is closing in 15 minutes. Good to know! Still doesn't care about my belongings.
10:03-heh, the page in one of my books that talks about divorce is 666 (yes, this is a long book)...secret agenda Ireland? I think so.
10:20-We've reached that point...I'm trying to thesaurus curse words. It won't let me. I can dictionary them, but not thesaurus them. I fail to see the logic there. I already know the word, I just want to be more original. Maybe using a longer, more foreign sounding word in order to make the person I'm insulting feel stupid as well. A double winner if you will. But i don't feel like learning another language just for the sake of telling someone to F*** off, so I would prefer to thesaurus it. Why is my life so hard?
11:00-I just got really excited about using the word subsequent...almost proud. Not sure where this fascination with words is coming from. It's looking like I might be closing the library down, no end in sight though. The French girl that is currently colonizing my sofa is going to have to deal, because i haven't had dinner yet so when they kick me out of here I'm turning on the common area lights and making myself some chicken.
12:00-Back at the apartment. I am FEASTING. I went into the kitchen, French girl was already asleep but I grabbed anything I could think of for my midnight paper writing dinner fiesta. Current Meal: Yummy cheese on a crispy baguette, carrots and hummus, hazlenut yogurt and a cup of tea (and a little bowl of strawberry crisp for the rest of the night). DELICIOUS! The end is in sight for this paper. One more to go. That will be done tomorrow though, it should be easier to write.
9:30-GOD! How nice to hear from you! She (God is female in the UCD library, lets avoid a debate here please) informs us that the service desk is closing in 15 minutes. Good to know! Still doesn't care about my belongings.
10:03-heh, the page in one of my books that talks about divorce is 666 (yes, this is a long book)...secret agenda Ireland? I think so.
10:20-We've reached that point...I'm trying to thesaurus curse words. It won't let me. I can dictionary them, but not thesaurus them. I fail to see the logic there. I already know the word, I just want to be more original. Maybe using a longer, more foreign sounding word in order to make the person I'm insulting feel stupid as well. A double winner if you will. But i don't feel like learning another language just for the sake of telling someone to F*** off, so I would prefer to thesaurus it. Why is my life so hard?
11:00-I just got really excited about using the word subsequent...almost proud. Not sure where this fascination with words is coming from. It's looking like I might be closing the library down, no end in sight though. The French girl that is currently colonizing my sofa is going to have to deal, because i haven't had dinner yet so when they kick me out of here I'm turning on the common area lights and making myself some chicken.
12:00-Back at the apartment. I am FEASTING. I went into the kitchen, French girl was already asleep but I grabbed anything I could think of for my midnight paper writing dinner fiesta. Current Meal: Yummy cheese on a crispy baguette, carrots and hummus, hazlenut yogurt and a cup of tea (and a little bowl of strawberry crisp for the rest of the night). DELICIOUS! The end is in sight for this paper. One more to go. That will be done tomorrow though, it should be easier to write.
5 comments:
Babunia attended the Eucharistic Congress in Poland in 1997. It was in Wroclaw. See http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=5065. She bought an umbrella.
Amex your next Tesco run for healthy food on me. Delighted to see that you consumed at least one fruit and vegetable today. Stay away from the oysters
Hang in there. Finn
you are fantastic.
Ahh, sorry Gina, I accidentally deleted your comment. I agree, though, we are smarter than them.
Post a Comment