Sunday, April 6, 2008

Living With Caroline: An Ongoing Series

It doesn't matter whether she's in Philadelphia or Dublin, my sister is ridiculous. Within the first 24 hours of being here she 
1) Made me clean my room "Look, I'll help! It will be fun and go quickly!"
2) Tried to hail a bus like a taxi "Oh look, there's the 10! Hey! Hey! Why didn't it stop?" "You need to be at a bus stop..."
3) Broke into my apartment with a mop. 

Wait...what was that last one again?

We had returned from a shopping trip to Dundrum, which is a mall nearby. We had started to make chili when I realized we didn't have any milk. Not that we needed milk for the chili, but it's one of those things that I think should always be in the fridge, just in case my bones start to feel a little weak. 
So I tell C-dawg that I'm going to run to the small Wa-Wa-esque store on campus to grab some milk. C-dawg ponders staying behind and decides to come with me at the last minute. As I'm paying for the milk it hits me...I didn't bring my keys...my roommates aren't home...it's Saturday. I turn to Caroline, "I FORGOT MY KEYS" I exclaim. She smiles, "whoops" and giggles. I stare at her "No...I forgot them, they're inside, we CANNOT get in". She seems unfazed. I don't think she realizes that this is not an American university. You can't just call public safety to let you in. "I'll climb through the window" she tells me. We walk back up to the apartment, yea...not even she could fit through the opening in my window. To make matters worse I can see my coat on the sofa next to the window. My keys are in my pocket. The window on the opposite side of the room is open! But I can't reach the jacket. "Oh well" Caroline says "We'll just wait in the hallway". Who is this person and what did she do with my sister. Oh well is not usually in Caroline's vocabulary. I run down the walk to find my friend Will who is enjoying an illegal BBQ. Will tries to call my roommates, none of them pick up. I announce that I'm going to go try and find an RA, everyone immediately packs up the BBQ and heads inside. I'm a total fun killer. I failed to find an RA and instead return to my apartment. Caroline and I stand outside my window starring in. "On the plus side" Caroline says "You've proven it's fairly impossible to break in to your ground floor apartment". Thanks C-dawg. Will comes by to inspect the situation. In a moment of brilliance Caroline asks if he has a mop and a large hook. Well...half brilliance. Will says that he can help with the mop part and runs to grab one. Together the three of us then shimmy the mop in through the open window and use the head to tap open the other window. Will and Caroline then take over as I anxiously look around, convinced that the Guarda is going to come out of no where and take away my residency for breaking and entering. A voice calls out of a window "Hey! What are you doing!" I whirl around ready to defend myself with my life. Luckily it's my friend Becca laughing rather than some concerned citizen. Eventually Caroline, proving to have a disturbingly rational idea of how to handle the situation, has Will  flip the jacket off the sofa, and sticks her hand through the window to grab it mid-air. She pulls it out, grabs the keys and says "Right then, that went well". After a few moments of standing there muttering "wow....wow.." Will heads back to his apartment and we head back to make our DELICIOUS chili. 
This is what happens when Caroline is around. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such brilliance! Is it inherited?

Anonymous said...

Heh. Good job. (a comment)

Liz said...

you would forget your keys.. and caroline would come up with some elaborate plan of retrieval. This was kinda hilarious, wish i was there to witness/participate.