Monday, April 14, 2008

Choose Marianna's Next Adventure!

Time for a little audience participation. I got my exam schedule and it appears that I will be finished my exams by May 10th. My trip home isn't until May 23rd, so I'm thinking some more soul searching funtastic traveling needs to be done. So loyal readers, I want some input. Where should I go?

Option 1. Budapest
Pros: My friend, Nadia, from high school, is studying in Germany and says she'll meet me there for a few days. It's supposed to be gorgeous. It's supposed to be cheap. 
Cons: Our schedules make it so that we would only be there together for a day. On a top ten list of things to do in Budapest, going to the Tesco (supermarket) is listed as number 6. 

Option 2. Croatia
Pros: GORGEOUS. Major cocktail party points when I can drop the phrase "well when I was in Croatia...". 
Cons: Flights are a bit more pricey than I would like to pay. This could be a sweeping generalization but I'm not sure how great of an idea it is for to travel alone there. It could be a great idea! But it could also be a bad idea. I don't know...I need to find out more about Croatia. Currently all I know is that Dr. Kovac is from there and 10 years ago this probably wouldn't even be on my options list. 

Option 3. Iceland
Pros: See Croatia
Cons: Not happening. It costs almost as much as a ticket back to America. But I REALLY WANT TO GO!

Option 4. Scandinavia....somewhere
Pros: Pretty. Most people speak English. Gives me a few countries to choose from (I would only choose one) OMP really loves Sweden, I should probably check it out. Volvos. 
Cons: A Google image search of "Helsinki, Spring" brings up not one, but four pictures of a snow covered city. I hear it's pretty expensive

Option 5. Paris
Pros: Paris in the spring..ooo lala. Crepes.
Cons: Well...it's in France. I have a history with France...and it's not a good one. Also I've been there and I was really hoping to go someplace new. 

Option 6. Other-leave suggestions in the comments
Pros: Pretty, fun, safe,
cheap
Cons: Ryanair/Aer Lingus might not fly there...

I've added a poll to the side of this page. Choose your answer. If I pick your answer I'll send you a postca.....no, no I won't. Thats a lie. 
If thats not enough fun for you, leave a comment telling me why you chose the destination that you did. We're not going on popular vote alone. If that was the case someone like Meagan could screw me over and vote "Other" 31 times and end up sending me to St Petersburg. (see, when you comment on my blog you might just get a shoutout as well!)
It's just like a choose your own adventure novel, so have fun! And don't choose wrong or you might end up falling into an endless pit or something.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vote for Croatia. Everyone who goes there loves it and go before the Euro gets there! Iceland would be awesome, but EXPENSIVE. If all else fails, Paris in May is lovely...but only if you buy me shoes.

If you go to Stockholm though, there's a hostel on a boat where some Mountbattens stayed.

Anonymous said...

P.S. BUT, I mean, Tesco is pretty awesome.

SG Bye said...

I'd highly recommend Budapest. I was only there for a few hours, but it was gorgeous. And you can't beat Eastern European prices.

Major problem with Scandinavia: my roommate lives in Sweden, and he says that the alcohol is taxed like you wouldn't believe, so if you thought having a pint down the pub in Dublin was expensive, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

It's taxed by alcohol level, so there's really, really cheap Near-Beer kinda stuff, but he said that you can easily spend $25 on a cocktail.

Marianna said...

Caroline (I think?)-Why the heck would I stay in a hotel on a boat? You've known me for 21 years and I want you to name one time when I've said "hey, you know what would be a great idea? A boat trip." I hate boats.
Tesco is awesome, I should say that it was billed as the world's largest Tesco...so basically your Mecca.
Sean-Thanks for the tip about Scandinavia. I just casually dropped that fact into conversation with some Germans who went off on a 10 minute rant about expensive alcohol in Norway.

Unknown said...

Uhhh...other: DEFINITELY Poland.

I don't think you've ever been there. But I hear it's fabulous!

Liz said...

Croatia, Croatia, Croatia!! I put some research into this before I actually responded. Here's a site that I went to that told basically everything about Croatia. http://www.croatia.hr/English/Home/Naslovna.aspx

Even if you go alone, it will still be amazing. Don't forget clothes this time!!

Anonymous said...

I say go for Croatia -- I hear the coastline is absolutely beautiful and it's supposed to be a combination of the best of Venice and Rome, and you know you love Italy :)

Also, my friend is from Riga, Latvia and it's supposed to be a great place to visit too.

I hear Armenia is supposed to be cool and CHEAP to visit, albeit it's off the beaten track of typical European adventure sites.

Have you been to Spain? My Scottish uncle in London says that Barcelona is one of the best cities in Europe.

Finally, have you been to Santorini or other Greek islands? You'd make us CES folks uber-jealous if you went there as many of us talk about going to Greece someday...

-Suzette

Anonymous said...

other...Scotland, Russia or something wild!!!

Anonymous said...

I vote Budapest. I was there in the winter and wished I was there when it was warmer. There are plenty of things to do in my opinion. Cheap and cool art museum, cheap and cool opera (though there might not be opera anymore this time of year?) Goulash. Paprika. Delicious pastries. You have never been.

Anonymous said...

p.s. The manager of Albergo Antico Capon highly recommended Croatia, so that would be cool too.