In between the past blog entry and this one I have managed to catch some sort of a cold. Gee, I wonder how I got that, perhaps the 5 straight days I spent in drenching wet clothes because it rains all the time.....irony is today it was sunny and warm!
Anyway, the past few days have been filled with classes and such. Remember when I said I had all of my classes figured out? That was a lie. I now have 4 classes, which is closer to the required 5 than 0 was, but still annoying. Hopefully tomorrow I will be finished registering.
I just got back from hearing Will Ferrell talk, which was pretty awesome. There had been signs up all week and everyone had been wondering whether or not this was a mean fool the Americans trick. The society that was bringing him to campus seemed legit, so I shelled out the 2 euros to become a member and decided that was a cheap enough risk to take. So now I am a (literal) card carrying member of the Literary and Historical Society.
Before I talk about Will, I want to talk about the brilliance of the Literary and Historical Society. First, they get an outside vendor to sponsor their guest. Then, they get the entire school to pay them 2 euros, not to see Will, but to join their club. So their club now literally has thousands of members on its docket (plus a lot of cash!). Then once they get the saps into the room where they are anxiously awaiting Will Ferrell, they announce that this is an official meeting of the Literary and Historical society, so they can honestly say they have an active membership of roughly 2500 people who were in the room. Lets just say I took some notes for how the BMC Squash Club will be run when I return!
Anyway, onto the actual event. I arrived and was immediately impressed with the excellence of the UCD Conference and Events team. Given the giant vortex of crazy that the rest of the school is, I was pretty sure this event was going to be run by frat boys. Not so, the team easily managed to get 2500 people into a room within 30 minutes, got them seated and quiet. Things didn't start promptly, but everyone behaved. Not gonna lie, I was impressed....Princeton CES has some competition if they ever go to the Olympics of conferences.....or so I thought, more on that later
Now, Mr. Ferrell. First came two warm up acts, members of the society themselves who had written humorous speeches. First a girl went up and my inner chauvinist sighed "damn...women are never funny...". Much to my surprise, she was actually really funny, much funnier than the next guy who wrote a few songs about things too obscene to be mentioned on this family friendly blog. Will then came out decked out in Ireland gear, good times. Truthfully he didn't have much to say, he honestly just talked about his trip to Ireland while casually placing in Anchorman references. At first I felt kinda used, but then I realized "did I really want to hear anything other than Anchorman references? Honestly, isn't that the real reason I came here tonight?" so I was happy. He opened the floor up to questions and some people asked some really dumb things, such as "are you sure you're Irish, you look like a Jew".....?!?!?!? He sort of just stared at them looking confused. Someone did get him to sing Afternoon Delight though, and Dust in the Wind. All in all, good times were had by all.
Now I mentioned earlier that UCD CES was fantastic, they then lost all credibility at the end of the performance. Will was going to sign some autographs and shake hands, a team member went to the microphone and said, "Uhhh, if you want an autograph, just come forward" cue thousands of people throwing chairs aside and crushing towards the front. I stood in line for a few minutes and then when I realized I was actually moving backwards I called it quits and headed back to my apartment.
4 comments:
You need a better title for this post than "Wednesday Thoughts". It should have been called "Ferrell at UCD" or "Into the Vortex". Draw the reader in.
i miss you and i cant BELIEVE you saw will ferrell. how random. love you- a sheep postcard will do just fine by the way.
It's always sunny in Philadelphia, Mari.
Wait, no. It's always sunny in Columbia, South Carolina.
But there are always hot boys in Ireland, and no where else.
The moral: life sucks. But you're surrounded by the boys.
At first I felt kinda used, but then I realized "did I really want to hear anything other than Anchorman references? Honestly, isn't that the real reason I came here tonight?" so I was happy.
so funny
Post a Comment