Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Here's looking at you, Al

One thing is for certain, Al Gore would be crying tears of happiness if he saw me right now.
An average day last week would consist of me getting up, and moseying into a piping hot shower. I would then stand in said shower for an average of 20 to 30 minutes, a mixture of waking up, warming up and soaping up. I would then emerge from the shower to a new towel, not reuse one of the 30 that I had scattered around my bedroom, and dry off. Then I would either watch hours upon hours of television or some other electronic device,  before wandering downstairs to eat a pre packaged meal and drink a few sodas that while recyclable, would probably end up in the trash instead. It goes without saying that I would be turning on every possible light in the house while all this was going on. Next I would get into my car and drive the 3 blocks to the grocery store where I would use as many plastic bags as possible for my items. I would also try and hit as many animals as I could on the way home....thats a lie. My night would end with me maybe taking another shower or a bath...just because. I would then make sure the bathroom light stays on throughout the night...just in case I forget where it is even though I've lived in my house for 21 years, and falling asleep to the television or a movie. I am single handily responsible for global warming.
NOT ANYMORE
I now make sure I turn off all lights when leaving rooms, that costs money. I also must limit my shower to no more than 10 minutes...or rather the shower limits that for me with its abrupt shut off of warm (note not hot...just warm) water. I walked the 20 minute walk to the supermarket today with my reusable shopping bags. When our hands started to blister on the way back we took public transportation. My one towel is being reused rather than stuffed behind my bed. What now Al Gore, I am no longer your scape goat, you can no longer guilt trip me into doing your bidding...Ireland has instead forced me at gunpoint to be more ecologically friendly.


I'm still blasting my heat. It's cold....and it will hurt the wallet...but dammit it feels good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I am single handily responsible for global warming"

hahahahaha

if you lived my house my dad would kill you. he always yells at me for using the two semi dim lamps in the living room at the same time and for turning on the heat. in fact my dad is a heat nazis

~Sarah

Anonymous said...

im so happy u are environmentally friendly now!! yay!! did u ever see Al's movie- its intense man. can u get money back for returnable cans in ireland?