Yesterday I mainly settled myself in. A roomate arrived and we oriented ourselves with the university and went to meet the study abroad advisor. The building where most of the offices and classes are in is so big that there are lines painted on the floor leading to the different sections. You pick a color and follow it. The one we chose led us to an elevator but failed to tell us whether to go up or down. We went down and ended up in a boiler room. Haha, very funny Ireland.
One of our neighbors stopped by last night to say hi and told us to watch out for lights and music because that meant PARTY. That would be great except for the fact that I entered a light coma at around 8pm. The last thought that ran through my freezing cold head was "Wow, this must be what the Pilgrims had to deal with" because it was still DAMN COLD. When I woke up at 4am however, the only thing running through my mind were the lyrics to the Canadian pop group B4-4 classic, "Get Down", so lord knows what happened during the night. It was nice and toasty warm though, thanks heater.
This morning my roomate and I headed into the city to pick up basics, she needed sheets and stuff and I needed someone to keep me awake. (side note, I have notoriously awful jet lag, basically I'm exhausted 24/7 for the first week). That introduced us to the Dublin bus system, very efficient. I bought a pillow because the one they gave us here is about as thick as my sweatshirt. I was proud of myself for buying a pillow but as I stood at the bus stop starring at the time table, pillow stashed under my arm, I realized there must be a giant red, white and blue arrow over my head with neon lights flashing AMERICAN!
We got back and found another roomate, also cool. Some other Americans from the building next door came by and we went to lunch. Very nice, felt popular. My jet lag was at a peak though and I'm pretty sure they thing I'm an anti-social snob who laughs at inappropriate moments due to the fact that i basically spent lunch starring off into space and laughing whenever I realized I needed to get into the conversation.
After coming back to the flat for awhile and settling in (read: Light nap while others were productive) we went back into the city for a pint. How cool does that sound...come on, you know it sounds cool.
We went to a pub that I can best describe as an old mans bar. Not too many youngins there but oh well, they served alcohol. More importantly they had heat. So we hung out there for awhile. Then took the bus back, not so efficient at rush hour, it is here that I see the merits of Septa.
Now we're cooking dinner and then taking it easy. One roomate came in from California this morning and god knows how long she's been up.
Keep up the comments. Let me know if you have any suggestions for things to do/people to see!
6 comments:
Marianna - I hope you are talking lots of photos!
=) Lauren
I think you should just drink constantly until May. That IS part of the culture, and isn't the point of going abroad being able to experience another culture?
Also, I think you should meet a hot Irish guy and get married.
i second both of those comments. pictures and an irish man. get on that.
you should see the aran islands
i have no idea how close they are in relation to dublin, but they looked really cool in pictures. i got that suggestion from
http://thisisthelife.com/en/ireland/index.htm
this site some girl in the SAS posted about all the cool things you should see like anywhere you go
~sarah
hey your mention of b4-4 reminded me that I introduced that video to some friends in Hong Kong when we were showing each other our "best of youtube." The Canadian guy was like, this seems vaguely familiar and that's when I remembered they were a Canadian group. I also explained the band name origin.
this is how you find your true friends abroad, see if you laugh at each other's favorite youtube videos.
-megan
So which uni are you at? One of my friends did a semester abroad at UCD Dublin, and I went to visit him there... I also checked out Trinity, which is awesome.
--Sean
Post a Comment