Today my friend Jeremy and I took part in the most over hyped of Dublin rituals, the visit to the Guinness storehouse. Now I had been here before about 5 years ago, but honestly could not remember anything about it. I thought this was odd, considering its a seven story wonderland about beer, but yet there was a blank spot in my head when I tried to remember it. I now realize, that its because the place really isn't that memorable.
To enter you buy your ticket then head behind a wall into a dark room...nothing too big there. Then random facts about barley, hops and what not are thrown at you from all angles. There are arrows on the floor leading you around various directions that really don't seem to make sense. At one point Jeremy and I walked into a giant barrel and no explanation was given as to why we were there. So we stood in pitch darkness in a giant barrel. Ridiculousness.
All explanations began with "as the ancient Greeks taught us.." or "The Egyptians are the true founders of..." making me feel like I was reading my sixth grade history textbook rather than being at the mecca of American tourists in Dublin.
Perhaps my favorite stop was on the 4th floor where they had the "choice" room. Now i know this is a new addition since I was last here as I surely would have remembered something as hokey as this. There they have you sit down and answer questions about your drinking habits and alcohol facts. Meanwhile messages flash on the walls saying things like "you always have a choice" and "no is an option". This is your last stop before they hand you the free beer.
The "free" beer (included with the 10 euro entrance fee) comes in the Gravity Bar which is on the seventh floor. It boasts of panoramic views of Dublin where you can bask in its glory. I was kinda excited for this part, I will go see the city that will be my home for four months, my domain, my kingdom. When I arrived, however, the windows were all taken over by senior citizen travel tours. Once I elbowed my way in I realized that the area the storehouse is in is an absolute dump. We were starring out at industry and construction. Off in the distance we could see the Wicklow Mountains and other areas of Dublin that are more photographable. The true views, however, were pretty lame.
Holy bitter blog entry Batman!
It wasn't a wash of a day. It was nice explore Dublin on our walk there. We got a little lost
at first and then decided to just walk behind a tour bus....led us right to the front door. Afterwards we met some other friends for a pint and traditional music at a pub downtown, so that was nice. Temple Bar, which is a district in town, is hosting a music festival this weekend so many of the pubs had live traditional music. Usually the "live music" is a guy with a guitar covering Oasis.
We decided to come back here early. I'm going to be going to Galway with some people tomorrow morning, spur of the moment decision, but it should be fun! Look for an entry on that early next week!
2 comments:
You will be at the Storehouse five more times before you leave Dublin because everyone always wants to go there. It's a rip off, but I love their explanation of craic and you can see the big green dome from the Gravity bar.
Try the Jamison Distillery next time.
Have fun in Galway!
Love, Sis
P.S. You STILL have not sent me your address
Monroe Tavern, Dominick St. Galway - got to go there. A student hang out - not many tourists. It's a little away from the main street, closer to the water. Good (cheap) food and great bouncers when a brawl breaks out. Quite a show! They even come to your table to apologize for the disruption. Have fun! Finnian
Post a Comment