Sunday, March 2, 2008

I Live in Paradise

No hysterical stories from the weekend. I just wanted to rub it in everyones faces that I get to live here....














Had a fairly low key weekend. Marissa, Brigid and I went to Bray yesterday. Bray is a small resort village about 30 minutes south of Dublin. It was absolutely GORGEOUS. We got on the DART train and headed due south. We were shocked to find out that one stop away on the train was a beach. We are so City Center focused that we were completely unaware of our other surroundings. Turns out I'm close to the beach! Who knew!
We were told that we couldn't go to Bray without getting a picture of ourselves up by the cross on top of Bray Head, so we set off to reach the summit. (Authors Note: Picture was taken on Marissa's camera, I will have that eventually). We began the leisurely stroll up Bray Head when suddenly our nice paved path turned into dirt. Alright, we're tough, we can handle this. We continued along the path when suddenly it got steeper..and was less of a path than a stream of mud. Interesting. We continued our hike, noting how out of shape we were as we scaled the mountain. We took a short break and turned around to see the most stunning view of Bray, with a rainbow arching over the water. One of the few moments in my life I've been left speechless by natures beauty. After staring mouths agape for a few minutes, we began our climb again. Around this time the trail basically disappeared and we off roaded it through some prickly plants for awhile. We knew we had made a wrong turn, but we were too focused on reaching the cross to care. The final ascent to the top is practically straight up. It's worth it though, as reaching the summit provides you with views of every type of nature you could imagine. One view looked straight over the water, another out into pastoral farmland, another the mountains, another the town of Bray. It was one of those "So THIS is studying abroad" moments. After taking the required pictures we sat ourselves down and breathed in Ireland. It was nice.
I then looked at Brigid and realized she had just climbed the mountain in bedroom slippers. She claimed they were Uggs...I disagreed. Crazy kid.
Our descent down was breathtaking in an entirely different way, as we basically slid down slides of mud, rocks and roots to the bottom. Silently praying for our lives the whole way. After grabbing some fish and chips we hopped on the train back to the city. We took a quick stop in the town of Dun Laoghaire (pronounced Dunn Leary) for a look around. Its usually a quaint fishing village, but when we were there the weather had turned and it was cold and rainy. Oh well.
A nice trip that I'll be taking again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...looks a little cold to be paradise

~Sarah