Saturday, March 29, 2008

ROMA!

As I was about to board my train to Rome I noticed a shinier, more regal looking train next to mine. Turns out it was the Orient Express! It was classy, to say the least.
The trip to Rome was a bit boring at first. The first 3 hours were basically the same trip I took from Florence to Venice but in reverse. It took great strength not to hop out when we reached Florence and return to my precious city, but I restrained myself. The last hour of the trip surprised me with its beauty. I had assumed that the length between Florence and Rome would be fairly developed, but it was actually filled with pastoral landscapes and pretty impressive mountains. Heyyyyy, pretty cool!
I reached Rome and went to meet my friend Liz at our hostel. heh....ohhhhh our hostel. I was told to walk 7 blocks from the train station until I reach a black door. Sounded shady, but I trusted Liz. When I reached "Sandy's" as our hostel was called, I pressed the buzzer to be allowed in. I was greeted with a hearty "WHAT?!?!" oh this will be fun. I entered the building and realized it was just an everyday apartment building with families in it. They must have been THRILLED when the hostel moved in. I began my ascent of the 5.5 flights of stairs that I would get to know very well over the next few days. Huffing and puffing I finally reached the top, knocked on the door and was greeted with the hostel owner, a kid no older than my sister wearing a faded Sesame Street t-shirt with the words "We're All Friends!". Again he greeted me with "WHAT!?!?!?" I stood in the stairwell for a minute and considered my options before answering....do I really want to enter this place? Liz then appeared and I decided to risk it. The hostel was fairly small as hostels go, only about 6 or 7 rooms of 4 beds each. It offered free internet and, in a twist of irony, a beat up game of Yahtzee. After checking me in the hostel guy returned to his office muttering a string of American curse words....he lovvvved those American curse words. 
Before heading out Liz said, "Oh, by the way.....kilts". IT WAS A SIX NATIONS WEEKEND AND ITALY WAS PLAYING SCOTLAND! Which of course meant Scotland fans were all sporting kilts. I like to think that was God's little way of saying "hey, thanks for coming to Rome during Holy Week". 
Liz, who had been there for two days already, began to show me around the neighborhood. I was delighted to see that coffee was much cheaper here than it was in Venice, I would be able to support my new habit. After walking 2 blocks Liz said "alright, now look to your left" expecting to see a man in a kilt...which i did...but I also found myself starring straight at the Colosseum. Well what do you know!
We met up with our friends Sarah and Julia from Bryn Mawr, who are studying in Rome this semester. They took us to their favorite restaurant and gelato place. 
Lets take a moment and discuss this gelato place. IT WAS INCREDIBLE! You pay 2 euro and get a giant cone that you can get up to three flavors. I found that gelato cost me anywhere from 1 euro to 6 euro, so this was on the cheap end...plus they give you a TON! My favorite combination was banana, blackberry and biscotti flavored. Banana being hands down the best gelato flavor available. Liz and I would continue to go back to this gelateria EVERY day. My favorite time being "hey, are we near the gelato place" "no" "want to go anyway?" "ok!"
Back to day one. Sarah had to get back and write a paper after gelato, but we went out with Julia and her friend for drinks. Liz and I couldn't get over how cheap alcohol was compared to Dublin. Also we had to laugh that we got to the bar at 11 and it was considered "happy hour". Liz and I returned to our hostel and it was then that I met Fernando, our 18 year old Argentinean roommate. Awesome kid, more on him later. After figuring out how to get up onto my bunk bed we fell asleep to the sounds of hostel guy wandering the halls cursing. The ultimate lullaby. 
Day 2
Liz and I had great plans to explore the city today. We even mapped out a plan. Unfortunately the Rome marathon got in our way and ended up dictating what we saw. Liz and I attract sporting events wherever we go, it appears. I'm not going to lie, though, I really enjoyed the marathon. I would sometimes make Liz stop just so that we could watch and clap. Something enjoyable about standing still while watching other's exert themselves. The clapping really adds to it as well, such a trivial gesture that makes you feel like such a supportive person. Meanwhile the runners give you looks that are one level short of "oh come on, eff you!". Well, that gave me joy. We hit up all the main spots, Spanish Steps etc. and, of course, bought some gelato. 
We went back for our midafternoon nap, which would become a tradition. When we woke up we found Fernando in the room, and invited him out for some pizza. He became our puppy, following us everywhere. We tried to buy him a beer but ended up buying him non-alcoholic beer by accident. Whoops. He was less than pleased. So we walked around the city together and Fernando told us the story of his life. He was studying in Germany for the year, doing an extra year of high school even though he had already graduated back home. He had lived in the US for a year when he was 12 (and still had his middle school ID in his wallet to prove it). The things he misses the most about the US are Macaroni Grill and free refills at Burger King. I had forgotten about free refills and became oddly homesick at the mention of them. We had to get back to the hostel though, Fernando wanted to go to sleep so that he could get up early and go to the Vatican. As we walked back I had to laugh when I realized Liz was humming ABBA's "Fernando". 

Man in kilt at Roman ruins...ultimate in kilt pics
Well thats snazzy
Ruins
Our hostel
Looking down the staircase at our hostel
Man in kilt at Rome marathon throws his tam into the ring for best kilt pic
Liz at the marathon
Best. Gelato.Ever
Blurry, but our only picture of Fernando. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How many more posts?? I feel like im living through you as i read your blogs, as if im right there on vacation. Thanks for the free vacation!!! so relaxing!

Anonymous said...

haaa, i enjoy the pic of liz in the hostel. always good to see kilts represented as well.
nicky