Also, last night I went to hear Michael Palin, of Monty Python fame, speak. If you ever get the chance to hear him talk, definitely go. Insightful and witty, it was an excellent hour and a half.
Lets travel back to the simpler days of last week. Come with me as we head to VENICE!
Venice: Day 1
I had left my friends the night before claiming that I had to get up early for my trip to Venice. I had thought my train was at 9....it wasn't until 11. Oh well, still early for me! When I got to the train station my friends were there as well as they were planning on heading to Pisa. One of them said "Didn't you say your train was leaving early. I chuckled and quickly changed the subject.
The train ride to Venice was good, one can never get enough of the scenery of Italy. Coming out of the train station in Venice one is face to face with the grand canal. The sun was out in full force and after 5 days in rainy Florence I was definitely excited to see it. I couldn't remember my hotels address so I popped into an internet cafe to look it up. Here was my first warning of whats to come. In Florence the internet was free at my hotel, or if I needed it while I was out only a Euro for a half hour. In Venice it was 2 Euros for 15 minutes. Ohhhhh balls, Venice is going to be pricey. I check my e-mail and find out that the hotel I'm staying at is LITERALLY 3 doors down from the internet cafe. I step outside and shake my head. Ohhhh Marianna, wayyyy to go. The giant sign outside of the hotel did nothing to quell my feelings of stupidity.
I check in at the hotel, no adorable Italian boys at this one. My room is fine but the lights don't turn on. Oh well, I think, this problem should solve itself by tonight (I seriously think this way...don't judge me).
I head out to explore. I decide to walk down the main pathway until I reach St Marks Square, the main area of the city. Unfortunately I chose to follow the signs to the square rather than consult a map. Unfortunately the people of Venice are jokesters and have put up fake signs to the square hoping to attract customers to their restaurants instead. After turning down numerous alleys I finally realized that all of the official signs had the same look. I made it to St Marks and was immediately overcome with shock and awe....at the amount of people there. I was in Venice when I was 12...in November. I don't remember too many people being there. HA! It was a United Nations of tourists. One of the biggest attractions of St Marks are the pigeons which will land on you if your offer them food. When I was 12 I thought this was the coolest thing ever. When I was 12 I came home from Venice with a mysterious rash that covered my entire body and stayed for 2 months. I did not feed the pigeons. The "cool" thing to do, however, seemed to be to run through the throngs of pigeons and frighten them. Alright, I see how this is entertaining, except when one runs through pigeons then scatter, totally not caring for whatever is in their way. Meaning I would occasionally be enjoying a nice walk through the square when dozens of terrified pigeons would come flying my way, leading to me screaming and ducking to the ground. Meanwhile honeymooners laugh hysterically because clearly there is nothing more enjoyable in life than making a pigeon fly. I glare at them and wish that every pigeon in the square decides to use them as a toilet.
Wow, this just got very hostile, very quickly.
Anyway after wandering the streets I decide to head back to my room. On the way I stop at the supermarket to pick up some water and dinner. The supermarket was supercrowded and with everyone pushing I became flustered and grabbed whatever popped into my head in an effort to get the hell out of there. When I left the market I realized that I had bought myself beer and Oreos. I stood there pondering the ridiculousness of the situation and all I could think was "well...this will be one of those stories you tell for the rest of your life". It got better when deciding I needed an actual dinner I stopped at the Panera Bread-esque place across from my hotel because they advertised a "salad bar'. Having been deprived of vegetables for so long I eagerly ran in. The Italians and I have differing opinions on what a salad bar is. So this night will forever go down in history as the night my dinner consisted of Oreos, beer....and a bowl of cabbage. I went back to my hotel room and discovered that my lights still didn't work. Thats odd...usually things fix themselves when I don't do anything about it. So I tell the lady at the desk about it. "Well did you use your key?" she asks. What? She comes upstairs with me, takes my key and sticks it into a slot in the wall....the lights come on. Oh.....why didn't I think of that.
Venice Day 2
The desk lady at the hotel suggested I take a tour of the islands of Venice. I had originally scoffed at the idea, saying 'well I'm only here for a day and a half, I want to get all I can out of the city, I won't have time for boat tours". After spending the morning practically punching my way through the crowds of tourists I decided a boat tour would be fantastic. When I met my tour group that afternoon I had a silent chuckle to myself to see that I would be joining 7 middle aged couples and a man that looked uncannily like Ben Franklin. But he wasn't the real Ben Franklin, I'm 99% sure. heh heh.
Anyway, this boat tour is hands down the best decision I've made on this trip. First we went to Murano, where the famous glass is made. We watched a demonstration and then explored the show rooms. Very nice. We then continued on to my favorite part of the trip, Burano, which is famous for its lace. Stepping off the boat onto this Island immedately took my breath away. All of the houses are painted in bright colors to make them stand out. Laundry waves in the breeze as children run around the town square playing soccer. It is right out of a movie. We are given forty-five minutes to explore the island and it's lace shops. I am quickly waved into one and have to undergo numerous sales pitches. The lady tries to get me to buy a lace tablecloth. Ha, I laugh, "I don't even own a table". I continue to chuckle, the lady looks offended. We drop down a degree to table runners. Sadly again I try the table joke, again it fails, surprise surprise. We finally reach the doilies, which she half heartily tries to sell me. I am about to wave her off when suddenly a vision pops into my head. A vision of the most beautiful Easter basket at the annual blessing of the Easter baskets. One covered in handmade Italian lace, purchased in Italy. HA! It' the ultimate trump card. For anyone who's confused, I wait all year for the Saturday before Easter when we bring our baskets to church to be blessed. For some it's a religious experience, for me it's the ultimate competition. Nothing makes me happier than having an old lady look at my basket, then look back at her basket with a dejected sigh. I need this lace.
(Also, I nearly typed basketball 5 times over the past paragraph)
I figure its also good to have so that years from now I can yell at my children "HEY! Be careful with that, it's handmade Italian lace!" Always good to prepare for the future.
After buying my lace I continued to explore the island. I didn't have a watch so I just made sure that Ben Franklin was in my sightline at all times. By the end of the time he began to notice and was creeped out. Hey, you decide to fashion yourself off of a historical figure you're going to have to deal with creepy situations.
We then continued on to Torcello which was more rural than the other two islands. Much of the island is farmland, except for the oldest church in Venice. A very relaxing walk.
We went back to the main part of the city as the sun as beginning to set over Venice. Very beautiful. I began my walk back to my hotel, stopping for another bowl of cabbage. Hey, I said it was ridiculous, but it was also delicious and cheap. Unlike everything else in Venice.
My time in Venice was short, but worthwhile. Highly recommend it. Tomorrow my journey to Rome.
4 comments:
haha, I feel dumb. It never occurred to me that those San Marco signs were fake.
Nicky
We missed you at the basket blessing. You would have been proud. The priest said we were the only ones with fresh flowers decorating our basket. Hah!
Only one problem - Brodie ate the blessed babka. He's your boy again.
Greetings from Vancouver. It's beautiful, and I've never met nicer people. Finn
So what CAN you tell us about Irish economic policy in the 1960s? The world wonders.
I would LOVE to see you punch your way through crowds of tourists.
Also, I want to live in that little blue house in Burano. You can have the pink one. WE'LL BE NEIGHBORS!!
Post a Comment