Friday, February 1, 2008

The Irish Have a Day for Everything!

My friends and I didn't organize fast enough to go into town tonight for entertainment, so instead we settled for a nice quiet trip to the student bar on campus. Or so we thought. Last night when we went we were 6 of maybe 20 people there. Casual, quiet, in other words lame, but that suits me just fine. 
Tonight we went over and found the place was filled with people wearing bright orange shirts. Having grown up at Princeton I found nothing wrong with this situation at first, but rather wondered how I could get my hands on a snazzy orange shirt to add to my collection of orange shirts. Closer inspection of the shirts told me that it was ENG DAY 2008!
Eng Day? What the heck is Eng Day?
Luckily someone turned around and I realized that Eng Day was short for Engineering Day. Yes, we had crashed the UCD Engineering Department party. 
This was nothing like Engineering Department parties that I have been to before.
Instead of casual conversation over a glass of wine, this was instead all out war on the dance floor, with costumes and beer flying everywhere. I saw people dressed as Teenange Mutant Ninja Turtles, the cast of Cool Runnings (excuse me, Rasta Rockett), and a gorilla. As well as plenty of people wearing togas and/or no shirts.
My friends and I entered the dance floor, hoping to join in what appeared to be a great time. However our lack of orange shirt and/or unitard quickly singled us out as outsiders. The crowd parted as if we had brought some sort of foreign plague with us. Alas, tonight was not the night I would make a new friend in the engineering department. After someone spilled their beer all over me I determined the night to be over and we left to go watch "The Office". While it may not have turned out the way I hoped, it was certainly an experience.

Otherwise life at UCD has been good. Classes are going well, although many of them started off with the professors saying "Since you all know the history of Ireland, I won't cover that" leaving me a bit worried. I joined the squash club yesterday, which I'm excited about, they gave me a membership card and everything. That seems to be a big deal over here, membership cards. I'm definitely making some for the BMC squash club next year. I'm hoping to spend the day in town tomorrow and get a little more acquainted with areas other than Grafton St and Temple Bar. 

In case you were wondering, I definitely did not get my hands on a snazzy orange shirt. Failure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wait until you go to the Actuary ball...I didn't know what an actuary was, let alone why they were having a ball. It's just another excuse to party.

Anonymous said...

Hahah, oh Marianna, you make me forget about the writer's strike.

-Kathy

Anonymous said...

what is their deal with cool runnings? and btw "This was nothing like Engineering Department parties that I have been to before." would be a really excellent 1st sentence in a historical romance/detective novel. get on that