Monday, February 4, 2008

"If the Patriots lose, then clearly the terrorists have won"

Well you can't win them all. 
Yesterday was Superbowl Sunday, as many of you know, and Ireland celebrated like champs. Or at least I think they did. I was asleep for much of the day with a head cold, but when I woke up there were a bunch of Irish lads outside my window in Pats jerseys playing American football. 
The plan was to go down to the student bar where they were going to be showing the game on a giant TV. However as I was at the student store buying some snacks for the night, my friend comes running in and yells at me "Did you hear! They cancelled the Superbowl!" My mind starts racing, good God what kind of national disaster has happened that they would cancel the Superbowl, is Tommy alright? Luckily she followed that up with "Superbowl party. They cancelled the Superbowl party. Sorry, I should have finished that"
Alright, plan number 2, head downtown to the Hardrock Cafe which was promising the game and free food, etc. Not my number one choice, the game didn't start until 11:30, wouldn't end until 3, then we'd have to make our way home either through Nitelink buses or an expensive cab. Luckily upon returning to our apartment we discovered that the people in the next building over had the Superbowl on their tv. Helloooooo new friends. 
11:30 comes and we cram into the room with about 30 other people. The poor resident of the apartment appears to know roughly 9 of those people. Interestingly enough I'd say the room was equally mixed Irish and American...and the Irish students were the most intense about it. One was hardcore Pats and the other was hardcore anyone but the Pats. Another one sat around and offered commentary on "If the Irish were coaching this team, this is what we'd do" as if that would make the game less awful. His main complaint "Why the hell do they run sideways! Forward, Wes Welker, FORWARD".  
I think we all know how the game turned out. I was with a bunch of Giants fans and nearly suffered a concussion when one of them jumped up and kneed me in the head. Apparently he assumed that everyone would be jumping and didn't take into account the shaking person on the floor decked out in navy and red. If anyone remembers the game actually didn't end until the Giants kneeled down and there was all that chaos on the field. Our TV actually lost power right as the Giants were about to kneel down and the room flipped out. I had great visions of us turning the tv back on and finding that out of no where the Pats had recovered a fumble and won. Alas, it cannot be. 

18-1 isn't half bad.

My favorite quote from the night:
Irish Guy: So wait, this is Superbowl Sunday, and Tuesday is Super Tuesday....are regular days of the week just not enough for you Americans? I mean...its a lot to handle in just 3 days, slow down

No comments: