Thursday, February 14, 2008

One Month In: Reflections

Things I thought I would know already that I don't:
-My Cell Phone Number
-This is always awkward when I'm filling out forms and such and they ask for my number. I then subtly say "uh, hold on" whip out my phone and check under "Me" in my phonebook. Needless to say the Garda was less than amused, and I'm pretty sure they think I gave a phoney number.
-My Class Schedule
-You know how in the US where most classes meet at the same time each day that they're offered, in the same place? Yea, not so much here. I could have class one day at 11 in Theater M, then the same class another day at 2, in the Engineering building. Also, some have tutorials and small groups that meet during "week 21 and 30". I have no clue what the weeks are, so everyday when I go to bed I have to open up my schedule, find out when I have to wake up, then check again in the morning. 
-How much I have to pay to get to City Centre on the bus
-The official charge is 1.70, although others have told me that if you say 1.50 they'll let you go for that. I have no spine and am too afraid of being kicked off the bus to try it.
-The name of that SONG
-Theres a song that they go nuts for over here, and the main chorus is just everyone singing "Doo, doodoo doo, doodoodoo, doo doo doodoo doodoo" which of course is un-googleable. But its catchy. If that sounds familiar to anyone, please tell me

That leads me to my next list
Top 5 Songs That the Irish Go Crazy For
1. Soulja Boy
2. ANYTHING by Journey, they freaking love Journey
3. Doo, doodoo doo, doodoodoo, doo doo doodoo doodoo
4. Piece of Me by Brittney Spears
5. Don't Look Back in Anger-Oasis

Top 5 Irish Phrases
1. Craic-pronounced Crack
-Whats the craic-Whats up
-That was a good craic-That was a good time
2. Locked
-Don't mind him, he's locked-He's drunk
3. Splendid
-Same usage as in America, but far more frequently used.
4. D4
-Fake tan, ironed hair, she's a D4
-Not, as I had hoped, the long awaited fourth Mighty Ducks Movie
-Refers to Dublin 4, aka where I am right now, and the trashy girls that live here
5. Knackered
-Man, I'm knackered-I'm sleepy
-So much more fun to say than "I'm sleepy"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you ever sleep?

Finn

Anonymous said...

oh so much to say

first off.. learning soulja boy before i left totally paid off at the party animal party they played and i told steve and the others to back up.. cause i knew the dance. lol it was pretty awesome. it was pretty funny to watch steve(our favorite ginger kid) try to learn the dance. and be able to keep balance as the shipped moved. having a dance on a ship crossing the atlantic reminded me of your modern day titanic movie

back to the mighty ducks here a quote:
me and todd are watching the futbol game
todd: oh i know whats going to happen next
me: what
todd: duh this is where they go into flying V formation
me: LOL, and how do you know this?
todd: i'm with the team, i know the coach
me: really is emilio estevez down there right now?
todd: yup

and i just got the piece of me song from my friend beth, i like it

~Sarah